Friday, November 11, 2011

Piranha

So, I finally got around to seeing PIRANHA today. I had planned to see it in the theater when it came out after I heard a lot of good things about it post-production 3D and action, however life with a new baby doesn't always allow for such luxuries. So...DVD it was.

My review: HOLY CRAP! I LOVE THIS FILM!

They managed to get the "old timey" feel of 80s gore cinema while keeping today's pacing and sense of action. They got Greg "The F/X God" Nicotero to do the effects work. And, they got a director (Alex Aja) who not only knows how to direct, but who also takes the time he needs to make a good film. This includes the monster task of casting for leads AND extras as well as making sure the best of the best were involved in the films production. The resulting shockrific, monster gore fest was so much fun I found myself bouncing on the couch and giggling from time to time and I clapped at the end of the film.

I admit it - I clapped. Alone. In my living room. I even nodded and muttered, "Nice work." (Nerd)

I won't say much more about the plot than Piranhas on the loose in a lake at Spring Break. No more really needs to be said. The beauties dance on party boats and do the usual Spring Break madness.  Aja doesn't shy away from nudity or bikinis like many other 80s style remakes have done recently. I mean, that was the 80s. Skin was in and part of the chemistry of an 80s horror film. So, if you're not a fan of girls in bikinis, don't bother with this film.

The acting is fantastic. Everyone does what they are supposed to do. Ving Rhames, Elisabeth Shue and Steven "Grandson of" McQueen all turn in fine performances. The top shelf folks like Christopher Lloyd and Richard Dreyfuss even treat this like real work, not some toss away favor. Eli Roth even stretches his acting chops to play a wet t-shirt douche bag. (Did you know he KNOWS Quentin and Brad. You know...from when he was in Inglourious Basterds. Sorry...he mentions this ALL the time and had to do it again in the films extras. :)  )  The casting of extras (not an open cattle call, but one-to-one, face-to-face casting) REALLY made a huge difference. Everyone on camera is acting and taking things seriously and it shows.

But the real star of this film is the gore. DEAR LAWD! there is a LOT of gore in this film. And the visceral, nasty kind, too. All in the daylight and in your face. The F/X in this film are so much fun. They are a real throwback to old school gore-fests. No punches are pulled and there are some creative and wicked scenes - especially in the "ATTACK THE LAKE" madness that ramps the blood and guts up to 13! Some of the best I've seen in a long time. And...so much of it!

I think I've gushed over this film enough. If you have not seen it, do so at once. I regret not seeing this in a theater - 3D aside. It would have been fun to see this in a packed theater with a crowd of cringing, whooping fans. Check it!


No comments:

Post a Comment