Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Maelstrom (1985)


I was thinking about this series from the 80s the other day. I watched it - devoured it, really - back in the day on PBS channel 9 and waited as each episode brought me closer and closer to the exciting conclusion and loved every minute of it. I'm not 100% sure it will hold up today, but I'm going to give it a go and see if it does.

I remember it being a ghost story-like mystery. Creepy dolls play a part as well. You can't beat creepy dolls. (Dementia 13 comes to mind....) Classic "who done it" in the cold countrysides of Norway. You may want to save this one for a cold winter night.

I've looked for Maelstrom on DVD, but it doesn't look as if it's available in the US market. I did find it on Amazon UK.

They had it on YouTube, but the person closed their account and now...it's gone yet again. :(

3 comments:

  1. Update: I saw it through "magical means" a feee years ago and both my wife and I LOVED it. It's a fun, atmospheric romp with that fun BBC sheen over it. It was like a warm Euro blanket with on location outdoor scenes mixed with studio interiors.
    If you can seek this one out, do so. It's a fun mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is a good one.I saw it with my mum in the 80s and never forgot it. My husband hadn't heard of it and so we watched on the internet this week and it is still just as good! An archived BBC page gives the show a poor review, not sure why, I'm going to seek out the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad it held up for you!
      I did the same last year and got my wife to watch. She isn't big on movie watching and I thought she'd be back and forth on her computer after the first hour, but she was totally into it.

      I have some production work to do this week and might toss it on again for background viewing. :) I really enjoy it. When I saw it originally, it was WAY back in the day on PBS. I was a teen and totally hooked on the story and a bit in love with Catherine Durrell, Edita Brychta, and the musical score. :)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete